Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Things don’t always go right even for professionals

I have been teaching a ‘Knit a Jumper’ course at Liss Wools in Hampshire over the last month or so. The knitters where given a Round Neck Set-in Sleeve jumper pattern in DK weight yarn as the start of the course. 

In the first class we went through taking some basic measurements to help select the most appropriate size for each person and then made some design choices to make the jumper individual to each person e.g. what welt pattern to use, how deep to make the welt, making adjustments to the overall length of the garment, selecting the Front Neck depth for either crew neck, round neck or scoop neck and the sleeve length from short sleeve, ¾ sleeve to long sleeve.

The ladies attending the course all chose to make an asymmetric tunic length garment with a deep garter and rib welt and side slits. One of the ladies also wanted a ‘Henley style’ round neckline with front opening. Another of the ladies wanted to add a pocket to the front of the garment as well.

Having gone through the various options they all started knitting their garments at the end of the first workshop.

At least one of the ladies had attended another of my knitting workshops at Liss Wools and had originally asked if she could make the garment in a chunky yarn. I said that would necessitate calculating a completely new pattern so she agreed to go with the pattern I had already worked out. I thought it would be a good idea to knit a chunky version anyway which I did.

Looking at the jumper you may think it is perfectly OK and basically it is, but what I forgot when calculating the new pattern was that the original pattern was based on a close fitting garment in DK yarn. I knitted and finished the garment at which point I realised that the fit was a ‘bit snug’ at least for my taste in a chunky garment. I had forgotten to compare the ‘finished measurements’ information in my pattern with what I actually wanted.

I have subsequently re-worked the pattern with classic ease (i.e. approx. 2 inches of ease) which I think will suit the garment better, or at least I am more likely to wear the new garment.

This wasn't the only ‘disaster’ relating to this garment. I like to photograph the garments I knit on a mannequin, usually on our decking at the back of the house. I put the garment on the mannequin which was fine and took the first photo but the sun was making the top of the picture very bright so I thought I would move the mannequin over to the corner of the decking out of the direct sun. Unfortunately I hadn't realised when my DH was mending the decking some months ago that he hadn't fixed down one of the planks. Yes you have guess what happened, I stood on the end of the loose plank and unfortunately fell over and sprained my wrist.

I am fine now but who'd have thought photographing knitting could be so dangerous! I must set up a risk assessment sheet before the next photo session!!

No comments:

Post a Comment