Sunday 27 January 2013

Cake baking not knitting!!!

I know it has been a long time since I posted anything. I did have lots of knitting things I was going to post about last year but never seemed to find the right time. I must try harder this year.

On a completely different subject, I have been watching the Comic Relief Bake Off and this has inspired me to bake a cake. My family will be completely amazed as I haven't done any baking for ages so I thought I would record the event in pictures as well.

I decided I would try a new cake and a different method of making cakes at least for me. In the past I have always made a 'Victoria Sponge' type cake creaming the butter and sugar, adding eggs and then the flour etc. This cake starts with melting the butter and sugar.


That seemed to go OK. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then add an egg and beat the mixture. After that add the flour and cocoa.


This also went OK and then add the milk with Bicarbonate of soda added gradually. It all looked good and as you can see the cake tins were all greased and ready. You may also notice a glass of wine in the background, which is of course a very important ingredient in any cooking!





The mixture all looked fine and went into the oven to cook.


After the allotted 25 minutes I opened the oven. The cakes had risen and I checked they were cooked. I was a little concerned that they did seem a bit thin.


The cakes turned out on the wire tray to cool without any problem but I did check the recipe to find I should have used 6 inch cake tins! I don't have 6 inch cake tins. I do have 7 inch and 8 inch tins and as I had always used the 8 inch tins in the past, this is what I used, hence the 'being a bit thin'.

I still have to make the icing and put the cake together and then force my family to eat the cake, so I will report back later!

No comments:

Post a Comment